ComTrade NetScaler Discovery (Error 16011 Unable to determine protocol)

Yet another ComTrade fix…it’s been a good day as everything is now working!

This time, NetScaler devices were not discovering. Turns out it was not really any misconfiguration on the SCOM side and it was so easily solved in the end I wasn’t actually going to post this but I figured it might help someone.

The issue was that this company had purchased a few NetScaler devices was in the process of installing and configuring them. Trouble is, they weren’t appearing in SCOM…Now according to ComTrade’s manual, you first have to discover them as Network Devices (Nodes under SCOM 2012) and from there, they will be discovered by the discoveries in the ComTrade MP’s.

I checked the work and it was all done right. The MP’s were imported, RunAs account was correct, the SNMP Service was installed and configured properly to accept packets. The Resource Pool was even correctly named 🙂

The NetScaler device was being discovered as a Node, but that was it.

Back to the trusty Event Log and I found that this company was getting these periodic 16011 errors…below is just a small sample…

 

MPNSNetScalerApplianceDiscovery.10.120.20.5.js : MPNSAgent: ‘DoneWithNSErrors – errorcode=1 message=Unable to determine protocol for 10.120.20.5 appliance. Error code: 1, error description .’ when perform request to netscaler: 10.120.20.5 with param: nshardware

 

MPNSNetScalerApplianceDiscovery.10.120.20.5.js : MPNSAgent: ‘DoneWithNSErrors – errorcode=1 message=Unable to determine protocol for 10.120.20.5 appliance. Error code: 1, error description .’ when perform request to netscaler: 10.120.20.5 with param: nsversion

 

MPNSNetScalerApplianceDiscovery.10.120.20.5.js : MPNSAgent: ‘DoneWithNSErrors – errorcode=1 message=Unable to determine protocol for 10.120.20.5 appliance. Error code: 1, error description .’ when perform request to netscaler: 10.120.20.5 with param: nsconfig

 

MPNSNetScalerApplianceDiscovery.10.120.20.5.js : MPNSAgent: ‘DoneWithNSErrors – errorcode=1 message=Unable to determine protocol for 10.120.20.5 appliance. Error code: 1, error description .’ when perform request to netscaler: 10.120.20.5 with param: nshostname

 

 

Well it turns out that this error was simply saying that it couldn’t communicate with the device on ports 80 or 443…it’s just a firewall problem. Now we know the cause it’s easy to fix and to be fair to ComTrade…it does say this in the manual.

 
Comments

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply